Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Message/Warning from Randy

I hope you don't mind me butting in, I am a former cyclist and when I looked at your route, I became concerned about your segment from Taos to Melrose. While it doesn't look difficult on the map, New Mexico is a large state and maps can be deceiving. First of all the distance from Taos to Melrose is about 380 KM. That seems like a lot to ride in a day, even for your crowd. The town of Taos is at 2130 meters altitude and your day would start off with about a 60 kilometer mountain segment at altitudes in excess of 2600 meters above sea level. I am just concerned that if you haven't trained at altitude, this could be a killer. And we haven't even talked about freezing temperatures and the winds we sometime get here in the spring. To keep on schedule I assume there are times you pack it in and just motor the guys to the next destination, but I don't know. Is that an option?

Bookmark and Share
http://www.coast2coast-usa.org/
www.myspace.com/coast2coastusa
http://www.justgiving.com/coast2coast-usa

No comments: