Sunday, April 5, 2009

Andy's Blog

Part of my psyche tells me that I have failed - 300 miles short of the finish I crashed. Phil kindly took this photo of me last Thursday, after my treatment. Drugged up to my eyeballs I suffered, but without the help of my friends and fellow tourists I would not be here today. Phil, basically, saved my life as he rushed back to stop the traffic from pounding over my prone body. I had hit the railroad tracks at 25 mph. In front of me Phil had had a wobble and before I could slow down my back wheel had gone and all I remember was asking the sheriff what his name was. I had been unconscious for 3 or 4 minutes whilst Phil became a traffic cop. Bundled into the hospital wagon screaming in pain with an ambulance chaser trying to film the whole experience. I had flown through the air with greatest of ease and consequently Phil found me in a heap in the middle of a busy carriageway. Merv remarked, 'an irresistible force against an immovable object'. The result, after two visits to Panama City and St Augustine ER's, is that 'The Bear' has got bruised kidneys, bruised ribs, possible rib fracture.

Drugged up and delirious, I call Phil a 'poof' for being worried about me and then fall into a rendition of, 'In a church in Abergwili' in front of an audience of 4 nurses, paramedic and a doctor. Stoney is thankful I stop before it gets to the crude bits.

My first visit to ER didn't supply enough drugs. The next visit gave me 2400mg of Ibuprofen and ever since I have amazingly got so much better.

The C2C team have all been so fantastic in seeing me through the trauma. In particular, Phil saved my life. I have had a few near death experiences but this one I knew nothing about. I was in the hands of others. For their support throughout day and night my room mates put up with a lot of groaning - so thank you in particular to Phil, Ian, Henry and my shipmate Mervyn for nursing me.

The focus for the last two years has been on this cycling trip and money raised for the charity. My disappointment at not finishing is huge but the bigger picture must be looked at. I have created a lifetime experience that will never be forgotten. We have raised over £50,000 for a charity. There's more to this trip than actually completing it. The friends I have made, the places I have seen, the weather I have encountered, the people we have touched, the food I have eaten and most importantly the memories that I have, after spending nearly three weeks with a bunch of shipmates that I'll never forget.

Memories - what are we? - without memories. If memories gauge how well off you are, then I am a rich man!

This is me tonight feeling a lot better - starting 'Wild Thing' with Merv.
Hoping to cycle to the beach tomorrow.
We will have closure!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NO WAY have you failed?! Look what you've done, it's incredible! It's nothing but complete victory, complete success - you made and exceeded your fundraising target, you planned and executed a ride across a continent. You did what you set out to do and MORE. It's absolutely victory.