Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rich's #14

We've done it!

It's been a fabulous experience and we've finally reached the East coast of America.

There have been frustrations, mainly caused by the weather and it's meant parts of the route we've had to sit out and travel in the car.

Does this mean we've failed? Hell no! If our days had been stages in the Tour de France then even before we got off our bikes the stage would have been reduced or cancelled. Would that have devalued the achievements of the melot jaune in winning the thing? Of course not, so we too have won.

Andy's injury is the biggest disappointment as it would have been fantastic for all of us to finish together, but each and every one of us can and should be proud of what we have achieved.

The day started in the bright sunshine we had expected of Florida, but got off to a bad start. When I had my little prang with Ian yesterday it bent my rear wheel (actually Ian's spare which was still on my bike from an earlier puncture). As I went to change it back to my own I noticed some damage to my seat stays (the rear triangular bit that the back wheel attached to). Basically it's knackered.

So I became a Dolan Sister and borrowed Andy's bike for the day.

The roads were pretty good and we made very good time until about 8 miles from the finish when Phil, Henry, Ian, Gareth and I all completed the tide together.

Handshakes all round at the end and telephone calls home to say we'd finished, before adjourning to our accommodation and indulging in a few beers.

Big thanks from me to the whole team who've all worked so well to make this such a memorable experience. Without your driving, fetching, carrying, cooking and support this would not have been possible and love and thanks also to Jen and the boys for putting up with me spending so much time on the bike in preparation. I can't wait to see you all on Tuesday.

As Vinnie might say "it's been emotional".

Bookmark and Share

No comments: