Monday, March 2, 2009

Daffodil Classic 09 #1

I am sure that today's proceedings will be blogged more eloquently but here's my take:

"Just have a general chat about today's ride" Dyfrig said thrusting his microphone in front of me and Gar. Following a bout of food poisoning which had meant my intake of food in the previous 48 hours had been pretty negligible I ventured that today was about getting round safely and shouldn't be viewed as essential training as most of the hard work had been done. "Getting the excuses in early" Gar retorted as he was fairly keen to extend himself and likened me to Martin Johnson.

Having failed to temper Gar's enthusiasm to "cane it" I decided to go along at my own pace, as did Phil who was equally under the weather.

From the off Gar shot off up Pendine Hill among the leaders and I ambled up. By the end of the first bit of climbing I was in a group of 4 but was left on the first serious downhill. By St Clears I had closed on those in front and found myself in a group of 12 and sat towards the back of the group taking a breather. We could see Gar on the road ahead and no sooner had the thoughts of catching him occurred to me my group split and being towards the back I was left by the front few. They caught Gar and as the group I was in fell further off the pace I decided that as I felt stronger than I'd expected I'd make an effort to close the gap.

Try as I might though the gap remained pretty constant and working alone was relatively tough. This it remained until the rest stop in Trelach where Gar was waiting. I eagerly tucked in to some cake and we waited for Phil to join us so we could do the rest of the ride together.

Phil was keen to get moving and so I joined him. Gar contemplated waiting for Henry and Andrew but gave up after a while and soon caught me and Phil. We then rode at a good but steady pace together until we reached St Clears again when Gar again decided to "get on the bang". Phil and I stayed together to just beyond Laugharne when with all the climbing finished I again had thoughts of catching Gar. However, the strong head wind (and in all honesty, my physical limitations) put paid to that and I finished with nobody in sight either in front or behind.

I still felt relatively fresh at the end and wondered whether "caning it" might have been an option after all, but with just two weeks to go discretion really should be the better part of valour.

Overall a good ride and it was tremendously supported. Thanks to Andy for organising it so well and everyone that assisted with marshalling.

So to home and a soak in the bath with a large bottle of banana recovery shake, where I spy my razor on the side of the bath - my wife has obviously "borrowed" it for her legs and after a few moments of "shall I shan't I", I go for a little test patch and end up leaving the bath with half a shaved leg.

Despite my wife giving me a quizzical look as I flashed her my right calf I have to report that I feel no less of a man as a consequence and so have since taken the plunge completely and both legs are now purged of hair up to my mid thigh, which looks a little odd, but where should it stop?

I'm now a proper cyclist! Bring on the States.
http://www.coast2coast-usa.org/
www.myspace.com/coast2coastusa
http://www.justgiving.com/coast2coast-usa
Bookmark and Share

No comments: