Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Stoney’s in New Orleans….again

After a few days arduous cycling (yes, me cycling every day) in various climates and road conditions, we landed in New Orleans. We awoke in Clovis to snowy conditions (again) so delayed the off until later. Enough time for Dyffers and Chatsy to get everyone into the hot seat for interviews in front of the cameras. They even made me say a few words in Welsh for the second time on the trip.

As the snow wasn’t clearing, we set off for better climes, although this did take a few hours!!! When we finally started cycling in the afternoon, I joined Bear and Pork Pie for a stint on another hot seat and this one was even more uncomfortable. However, the cycling was brilliant. Henry continued to drive the campervan. I think he finds it safer when I’m in the co-pilot seat or on my bike.

Another great cycle on Saturday, apart from Phil repeatedly getting punctures (the second one was just in front of me and I thought that someone was shooting at us!!!!!!!). Austin was a bit of a disappointment for me, because we were all too tired to check out some of the local bands. At the end of the day, we’re here to cycle across America, so we can leave that until I return with Eileen. We did, however, eat at Applebies. H had been raving about this chain since we landed in LA and, in fairness, it was fine fare.

Next up was Houston. The cycling there was, to say the least, scary. Bumpy roads. Speeding cars. Interchanges. Noise. And hills. I thought Texas was supposed to be flat. This was also accompanied by a soreness to the crown jewels. Pork Pie had the audacity to take a photo of me rubbing some cream into my bits to relieve the pain. Not a pretty sight.

We arrived at Ian and Jacky’s house, where we were met by a cameraman from ABC News. We were asked to cycle towards him for the news. I’d had enough cycling by then, so H climbed on board the Look bike for a Brad Pitt shot instead!!!!
Straight into the pool (again with all my cycling kit on) then Ribs and Corn laid on by our kind hosts. To be fair, Andy must be a good mate of Ian and/or Jackie must be a saint. Who else would put 11 people up in their house, in various states of dishevelment!

After a great evening in The Red Lion, where the landlord (an Englishman from Bradford named Craig) laid on the food and the Guinness (my first of the trip) as his guests. OK we did have to sing for our supper. This time we sounded better. It could have been the Guinness making me imagine this, but the locals seemed to like it.

After a later than planned start, we set off to New Orleans. The journey itself became a nightmare. We had to drive through rush hour Houston (I should say Henry and Onslow had to drive) followed by a stint on the Interstate to Port Arthur, where the boys started cycling. After two legs of leap-frogging and a journey through the desolation of various recent hurricanes, we embarked on a ferry crossing. I decided it was time to get on the bike. Bad move. Brick wall head winds!!!! They were so bad, it affected the navigational and common senses of the back up team in the car, who promptly took the wrong turning and we didn’t see them again for about 60 miles. No. I didn’t inflict any form of injury on them. I controlled myself, as I have done for the whole trip (although we had to keep cycling, because there were 7 of us left in the campervan and only 5 were allowed to drive in it).

We finally arrived in New Orleans at 8pm. H had driven all the way and was absolutely shattered on arrival. We found that the campervan was too high to park in the hotel, so I had to go and find somewhere to park it. The hotel staff sent us to a car park, that didn’t accommodate such vehicles, so it was a case of driving around until we found somewhere suitable. We finally arrived in the hotel and I was astounded to find it was the same one as I stayed in 18 years ago!!! We did manage a drink at Pat O’Briens and took in two bars with live bands, but it was definitely time for bed. Look out H and Onslow. I’ve got my serious snoring head on tonight!!!!!!


Bookmark and Share

No comments: