Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rich's #4

It's now 1st thing in the morning on day 2 and I've just had my best nights sleep since arriving here.

Yesterday was a real up and down day (quite literally) with long climbs and sweeping descents, but mentally and physically too.

1st of all despite The Bear's assertion that "I'm just going out for a bike ride" I was full of nervous energy and on our way down to the start my heart rate monitor was displaying figures in excess of 170 despite our relatively gentle pace.

We all started together and rode for the first 5 miles and thanks to my tense state Andy and Phil allowed me and Gar to do the 1st stint so I could get it out of my system. This as it turns out was to their cost as they endured more climbing initially and were in the van for the descent into Palm Desert.

I quickly calmed down and settled in to my riding which was fantastic. The views were amazing and you got even greater appreciation of just how vast this country is and the enormity of the task ahead.

By the last stint the heat (up to 92 degrees) had taken its toll and although it hit Gareth a little harder I still felt like the guy in Goodfellas who's head Joe Pesci had in a vice. 9 litres drunk and I was still feeling dehydrated.

Today is a new day, my legs feel strong and I'm even more up for the challenge.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: